Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Enterprise Search

Several months ago Microsoft released a new search tool call Windows Search 4.0 (an update to Windows Desktop Search). With Windows Search a user on Windows XP or Vista Machines can perform a search onthe network drive and recieve instant results.

This type of search capability is extremely powerful and productive, previously tools that provided such capability were extremely expensive (Google search appliance) and/or complicated (dtSearch).

I myself created an ASP based webpage that my clients could browse to. The webpage would perform an ISXXO query to the Index Server on the file server. This worked pretty good - but was a but buggy, not as fast, and definitely not integrated into the user experience.

It has taken me so long to figure out the Remote Query Capability of Windows Search because for me it was just not working. I finally ran into this article (http://biztechmagazine.com/article.asp?item_id=416) that explained for the Remote Query functionality of desktop search to work - the path you had to be accessing in the file explorer is \\computername\share using the IP address or FQDN woudl not work. I look forward to Microsoft updating this limitation in future versions of Desktop Search.

No comments:

Post a Comment